Sebastian is the co-founder and CEO of Universal Quantum, a venture capital backed start-up working on constructing commercial quantum computers that will change the world for the better. He has grown Universal Quantum to a 50+ strong team of exceptional engineers, scientists and operational staff operating in the UK, US and Germany. Sebastian is also a Professor in Quantum Computing and Entrepreneurship at the University of Sussex in the UK. His technical work around quantum computing, for example, led to the development of the world’s first blueprint for constructing a large-scale trapped-ion quantum computer, capable of unlocking some of the most exciting applications of this technology.
1. What values are most important to you as a leader?
Empowerment, empathy as well as passion and commitment are among the values most important to me.
2. Who or what is your biggest inspiration?
Being allowed to play a small part in trying to make the world a better place for my son and others.
3. Best piece of advice you have been given?
Focus, focus, focus.
4. What would you tell your younger self?
Be more patient.
5. What has been your most important or profound lesson as a leader?
It’s all about the team.